- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan
- In a larg bowl, beat oil & honey together. Add eggs and beat well
- Stir in bananas and vanilla, then stir in the salt and cinnamon. Then, stir in the flour, until combined
- Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then mix briefly into batter until it is evenly distribution. Spread batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and swirl with a toothpick or the tip of a butter knife to make a marbled effect.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes. Check that the toothpick comes out clean/dry. Let the loaf cool for about 30 minutes before slicing.
This was easy to make. I am getting better at following recipes. I decided to use honey vs maple syrup. It wasn’t overly sweet. It took about 55 minutes in my oven. I would make this again especially as it had the traditional banana bread taste and the whole wheat flour made me feel it was healthier… LOL. I think if you omit the honey &/or maple syrup it would still be okay and really depends on the sweetness of your bananas. This is the first time, I have ever heard of adding the baking soda & hot water and adding it last. I wanted to try it and it seemed to work well. Apparently you can add the baking soda into the spices and just use water or milk. Lastly, if you want you could also use a flax egg as an egg replacement. Definitely would make it again.